Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Catullus, Poem 9


Gaius Valerius Catullus
84-54 BCE (over 2,000 years ago)
Trans RMBullard
Latin (Golden Age)

Verani, omnibus e meis amicis/antistans mihi milibus trecentis/venistine domum ad tuos penates/fratresque unanimos anumque matrem?
(Veranus, standing above all my three hundred thousand friends, have you come home to your penates and your all-loving brothers and your elderly mother?)

venisti. o mihi nuntii beati!
(You have come. O blessed news to me!)

visam te incolumem audiamque Hiberum/narrantem loca, facta, nationes/ut mos est tuus, applicansque collum/iucundum os oculosque suaviabor.
(I hope to see you safe and to listen to you recalling the places of Iberia, things done, tribes, as it is your habit, and clinging over you handsome neck, I'll kiss your face and eyes.)

o quantum est hominum beatiorum/quid me laetius est beatiusve?
(O whoever there are of very blessed men, who is happier and more blessed than me?)


Image: Picture of Sirmio (Sirmione): possible homestead of Catullus [http://www.panoramio.com/photo/50052]