Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Martial, Epigram 9.25

Marcus Valerius Martialis
1st-2nd c. AD (over 1,900 years ago)
Trans. RMBullard
Latin (Silver Age)

Dantem vina tuum quotiens aspeximus Hyllum, lumine nos, Afer, turbidiore notas.
(We have seen so many times your man Hyllus giving in wine, Afer: you notice us in a more confused light;)

quod, rogo, quod scelus est mollem spectare ministrum?
(What, I ask: what evil thing is it to watch a effeminate slave?)

aspicimus solem, sidera, templa, deos.
(We gaze at the sun, the stars, temples, the gods;)

avertam vultus, tamquam mihi pocula Gorgon porrigat, atque oculos oraque nostra tegam?
(Shall I turn my face away, as if the Gorgon is filling the wine-glasses for me, and shall I cover my eyes and face?)

trux erat Alcides, et Hylan spectare licebat;
(The son of Alceus was fierce, still he was allowed to gaze at Hylas;)

ludere Mercurio cum Ganymede licet.
(Ganymede is allowed to frolick with Mercury;)

si non vis teneros spectet conviva ministros, Phineas invites, Afer, and Oedipodas.
(If you don't wish a guest to look upon your dainty slaves, invite Phineases and Oedipuses, Afer.)