Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Propertius 1.1

SEXTI PROPERTI ELEGIARVM LIBER PRIMVS 


Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus [Propertius]
50- 15 BC
Trans RMBullard
Latin (Golden Age of Latin Literature/Imperial Era)

Cynthia prima suis miserum me cepit ocellis,

contactum nullis ante cupidinibus.
[Cynthia was the first girl to entrance me, now in misery, with those eyes of hers, since I had never been touched by desire before.]

tum mihi constantis deiecit lumina fastus

et caput impositis pressit Amor pedibus,
[In that moment, Love cast down his gaze --one of incessant wanting--upon me, and he pressed his feet down upon my head,]

donec me docuit castas odisse puellas 5

improbus, et nullo vivere consilio.
[Until he, so wicked, convinced me to despise any girl who was chaste, and to live a reckless life.]

ei mihi, iam toto furor hic non deficit anno,

cum tamen adversos cogor habere deos.
[Pity me: this insanity has not lessened even though a whole year has passed, and still I am forced to worship gods who opposed to me.]