Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Res Gestae of Divine Augustus

RES GESTAE DIVI AVGVSTI


The Achievements of Divine Augustus
Set up by the Roman Senate (SPQR) in honor of Augustus Caesar
1st c. AD
Trans RMBullard
Latin (Imperial Era)


Rerum gestarum divi Augusti, quibus orbem terrarum imperio populi Romani subiecit, et impensarum quas in rem publicam populumque Romanum fecit, incisarum in duabus aheneis pilis, quae sunt Romae positae, exemplar subiectum.
[This is the monument of the accomplishments of divine Augustus, through which deeds he pacified the entire world for the sake of Roman people's empire, and of the missions which he performed for the Roman state and people, now inscribed on two iron pillars that have been placed in the city of Rome.]


Annos undeviginti natus exercitum privato consilio et privata impensa comparavi, per quem rem publicam a dominatione factionis oppressam in libertatem vindicavi.
(When I was nineteen, I prepared an army from private resources and private wealth, with which I restored the republic to liberty, which had been oppressed by the domination of a political party;)


Ob quae senatus decretis honorificis in ordinem suum me adlegit, C. Pansa et A. Hirtio consulibus, consularem locum sententiae dicendae tribuens, et imperium mihi dedit.
(Because of this, the senate, decreeing honors, bestowed me to a rank solely for myself, while Gaius Pansa and Aulus Hirtius were consuls; the latter allowed his consular rank to convey his sentiments, and he gave me military commands;)


Res publica ne quid detrimenti caperet, me propraetore simul cum consulibus providere iussit.
(He ordered me, as propraetor to accompany the consuls, to see to it that the republic seized not fall to destruction;)


Populus autem eodem anno me consulem, cum cos. uterque bello cecidisset, et triumvirum rei publicae constituendae creavit.
(Still, the people voted me consul in that same year, since both consuls had died, and they elected me triumvir for the purpose of governing the republic;)


Qui parentem meum trucidaverunt, eos in exilium expuli iudiciis legitimis ultus eorum facinus, et postea bellum inferentis rei publicae vici bis acie.
(As for the men who killed my father: I, avenging their crime with legitimate justification, forced them into exile, and afterward I won the war in the battle line against those traitors to the republic;)


Bella terra et mari civilia externaque toto in orbe saepe gessi, victorque omnibus veniam petentibus civibus peperci.
(Often I waged civil warfare on land and sea and the boundaries of the entire world, and I, the victor over all, forgave those citizens who asked;)


Externas gentes, quibus tuto ignosci potuit, conservare quam excidere malui.
(I preferred to spare foreign peoples, with whom one could have conspired in safety, rather than slaughter them;)


Millia civium Romanorum sub sacramento meo fuerunt circiter quingenta.
[Nearly 50,000 Roman citizens have been tallied under my auspices.]


Ex quibus deduxi in colonias aut remisi in municipia sua stipendis emeritis millia aliquanto plura quam trecenta,
[From these, I set up nearly 30,000 or more in our colonies or sent them back to their own cities with a deserved stipend;]


et iis omnibus agros adsignavi aut pecuniam pro praemiis militiae dedi.
[and I signed over plots of land to all of these men and gave a sum of money as a reward for their military service.]


Naves cepi sescentas praeter eas, si quae minores quam triremes fuerunt.
[I gathered a fleet of 6000 ships and more, including ones that were smaller than our triremes.]


[4] Bis ovans triumphavi, tris egi curulis triumphos et appellatus sum viciens et semel imperator.
[I've had two public ovations, three triumphs, including one with a triumphal thrown, and have been publicly granted the title of 'conqueror' and 'emperor' once.]


 Cum autem pluris triumphos mihi senatus decrevisset, iis supersedi.
[And yet, when the Senate decreed even more triumphs in my honor, I refused them.]


Laurum de fascibus deposui in Capitolio, votis quae quoque bello nuncupaveram solutis.
[I officially established the sign of the laurel leaves upon the fasces in our Capitol, which I had previously dedicated to prayers of mine already granted.]


Ob res a me aut per legatos meos auspicis meis terra marique prospere gestas quinquagiens et quinquiens decrevit senatus supplicandum esse dis immortalibus.
[The Senate decreed that, on account of the fifty-five achievements accomplished by me on land and sea, through my agency and under my care, that our nation should make prayers of thanks to the immortal gods.]


Dies autem, per quos ex senatus consulto supplicatum est, fuere DCCCLXXXX.
[In any event, 890 days passed to be dedicated for a ceremony of public prayer by order of the Senate.]


In triumphis meis ducti sunt ante currum meum reges aut regum liberi novem.
[In my triumphal ceremonies, nine kings and their descendants have been led before my chariot.]


Consul fueram terdeciens, cum scribebam haec, et agebam septimum et tricensimum tribuniciae potestatis.
[I had previously been consul 13 times at the time I was writing these things, and I held the 307th office of tribune.]


[5] Dictaturam et apsenti et praesenti mihi delatam et a populo et a senatu, M. Marcello et L. Arruntio consulibus non accepi.
[I refused to receive the position of dictator, which was delegated to me in my presence by both the people and the Senate, in consulship of Marcus Marcellus and Lucius Arruntius.]


 Non recusavi in summa frumenti penuria curationem annonae, quam ita administravi, ut intra paucos dies metu et periclo praesenti populum universum liberarem impensa et cura mea.
[I did not refuse the administration of our grain supply, which was in a grave deficit, and I administered it so well that only after a few days, I was able to the free the entire population from its present panic and crisis, as befit my task and my concentration.]


Consulatum quoque tum annuum et perpetuum mihi delatum non recepi.
[At that time, I also did not accept the yearly and perpetual position of consul that had been delegated to me.]


Consulibus M. Vinicio et Q. Lucretio et postea P. Lentulo et Cn. Lentulo et tertium Paullo Fabio Maximo et Q. Tuberone senatu populoque Romano consentientibus ut curator legum et morum summa potestate solus crearer, nullum magistratum contra morem maiorum delatum recepi.
[During the consulship of Marcus Vinicius and Quintus Lucretius, and later Publius Lentulus and Gnaeus Lentulus, and finally Paullus Fabius Maximus and Quintus Tubero, by consent from the Senate and Roman people, I was elected the caretaker of the laws and sole power of our national traditions, with the greatest amount of power, but I accepted no official position delegated against the tradition of our forefathers.]




Quae tum per me geri senatus voluit, per tribuniciam potestatem perfeci, cuius potestatis conlegam et ipse ultro quinquiens a senatu depoposci et accepi.
[At that time, whatever that Senate wanted to me to do, I executed through my tribunician power, the power I prefer myself, and the one I requested and accepted from the Senate no more than 5 times.]


[7] Triumvirum rei publicae constituendae fui per continuos annos decem.
[I was once a triumvir, only for the sake of preserving our republic, for ten straight years.]


Princeps senatus fui usque ad eum diem quo scripseram haec per annos quadraginta.
 [I was once the lead member of the Senate up to the very day I  had written these things down, so over forty years.]


Pontifex maximus, augur, XV virum sacris faciundis, VII virum epulonum, frater arvalis, sodalis Titius, fetialis fui.
 [I was the pontifex maximus, augur, on the 15-man commission of augurs, the 7-man commission of sacrificial banquets, an Arval priest, and Fetial priest.]


[8] Patriciorum numerum auxi consul quintum iussu populi et senatus.
[As consul, I increased the number of members in the patrician class by 1/5th, following the command of the people and Senate.]


Senatum ter legi, et in consulatu sexto censum populi conlega M. Agrippa egi.
[I conscripted the Senate three times, and beside by colleague Marcus Agrippa, performed a census of the population in my sixth term as consul.]


Lustrum post annum alterum et quadragensimum feci, quo lustro civium Romanorum censa sunt capita quadragiens centum millia et sexaginta tria millia.
[I performed an official count, 42 years after its previous one, from which count 400,000 Roman citizens and 63,000 others were tallied.]


Tum iterum consulari cum imperio lustrum solus feci C. Censonno et C. Asinio cos., quo lustro censa sunt civium Romanorum capita quadragiens centum millia et ducenta triginta tria millia.
 [At that time, I conducted an official count in conjunction with the administration of Gaius Censonnus and Gaius Asinius' consulship, from which count 400,000 Roman citizens and 233,000 others were tallied.]


Et tertium consulari cum imperio lustrum conlega Tib. Caesare filio meo feci Sex. Pompeio et Sex. Appuleio cos., quo lustro censa sunt civium Romanorum capitum quadragiens centum millia et nongenta triginta et septem millia.
[And in the consular administration of Sextus Pompey and Sextus Appuleius, alongside my own son and colleague, I conducted a third official count, whereby the total population of Roman citizens totaled 400,000 and 937,000 others.]


Legibus novis me auctore latis multa exempla maiorum exolescentia iam ex nostro saeculo reduxi et ipse multarum rerum exempla imitanda posteris tradidi.
 [While I was the legislator of new laws, I restored the many examples of our forefathers regarding the degenerate behavior rampant now in our generation, and I myself drew the example of my many accomplishments that should be modeled by our later generations.]

[9] Vota pro valetudine mea suscipi per consules et sacerdotes quinto quoque anno senatus decrevit.
[Through the offices of the consuls and priests, the Senate, already in their fifth year, passed their votes for the sake of my good health.]

Ex iis votis saepe fecerunt vivo me ludos aliquotiens sacerdotum quattuor amplissima collegia, aliquotiens consules.
[Using their votes, they often dedicated games--even though I was still alive--4 times, and with the fullest throng of dedicatory priests, by the same number of consuls.]

Privatim etiam et municipatim universi cives unanimiter continenter apud omnia pulvinaria pro valetudine mea supplicaverunt.
[All citizens, on the private and municipal level, unanimously and consistently pray for my good health at all the local shrines.]


[10] Nomen meum senatus consulto inclusum est in saliare carmen,
[My name was included by senatorial decree in the Song of the Salii,]

 et sacrosanctus in perpetum ut essem et, quoad viverem, tribunicia potestas mihi esset, per legem sanctum est.
[so that I might also be sacrosanct in perpetuity for as long as I shall live, and shall possess the power of the tribune--my name "Augustus" entails reverence through the force of law.] 


Pontifex maximus ne fierem in vivi conlegae mei locum, populo id sacerdotium deferente mihi quod pater meus habuerat, recusavi.
[I refused to be named chief priest, so that I could give the position to my colleague when he was alive, although the people had granted it to me because my father had held it.]

Quod sacerdotium aliquod post annos, eo mortuo qui civilis motus occasione occupaverat, cuncta ex Italia ad comitia mea confluente multitudine, quanta Romae nunquam fertur ante id tempus fuisse, recepi, P. Sulpicio C. Valgio consulibus.
[After holding the priesthood for several years, I received it, after the death of the citizen who had before seized the opportunity, and all the masses of people from Italy flood down en masse to my assemblies, as great a number in Rome as had ever been counted before this time, during the consulships of Publius Sulpicius and Gaius Valgius.]

[11] Aram Fortunae Reducis ante aedes Honoris et Virtutis ad portam Capenam pro reditu meo senatus consacravit,
[The Senate consecrated the Altar of Fortune "The Restorer", in front of the temples of Honor and Virtue, upon my return to the Porta Capena,]

 in qua pontifices et virgines Vestales anniversarium sacrificium facere iussit eo die quo, consulibus Q. Lucretio et M. Vinicio, in urbem ex Syria redieram, et diem Augustalia ex cognomine nostro appellavit.
[and there it ordered the high priests and Vestal Virgins to make a national sacrifice on that day when I had returned to the city from Syria, in the consul years of Quintus Lucretius and Marcus Vinicius, and it named the day "Augustalia" in honor of my nickname.]

[12] Ex senatus auctoritate pars praetorum et tribunorum plebi cum consule Q. Lucretio et principibus viris obviam mihi missa est in Campaniam,
[Authorized by the senate, a group of praetors and plebeian tribunes, along with the consul Quintus Lucretius and other leading men, met me on my way to Campania,]

qui honos ad hoc tempus nemimi praeter me est decretus.
[and this honor was decreed to be mine alone at this period of time.]



 Cum ex Hispania Galliaque, rebus in iis provincis prospere gestis, Romam redi,
[When I returned to Rome from Spain and Gaul, and settled the official business in these provinces successfully,]

Ti. Nerone P. Qintilio consulibus, aram Pacis Augustae senatus pro reditu meo consacrandam censuit ad campum Martium,
[in the consul years of Tiberius Nero and Publius Quintilius, the Senate decided to build the altar of Augustan peace to be consecrated upon my return on the Campus Martius,]

in qua magistratus et sacerdotes virginesque Vestales anniversarium sacrificium facere iussit.
[in which it ordered official attendants and Vestal virgins to make a yearly public sacrifice.]

[13] Ianum Quinnum, quem claussum esse maiores nostri voluerunt cum per totum imperium populi Romani terra marique esset parta victoriis pax,
[The Gate of Quinus <otherwise known as Temple of Janus>, which our forefathers wished to remain closed whenever peace was achieved by victory throughout the entire empire of the Roman people, on land and sea,]

cum priusquam nascerer, a condita urbe bis omnino clausum fuisse prodatur memoriae, ter me principe senatus claudendum esse censuit.
[in the time before I was born, it can only be recalled from memory to have been closed in two instances since the city's foundation, and the Senate granted that I, as its "leading man" <emperor> could declare it closed.]


[14] Filios meos, quos iuvenes mihi eripuit fortuna, Gaium et Lucium Caesares honoris mei caussa senatus populusque Romanus annum quintum et decimum agentis consules designavit,
[The Senate and Roman people appointed my sons, Gaius and Lucius Caesar, whom Fortune has stolen away from me, consuls once they reached the age 15, in honor to me,]

 ut eum magistratum inirent post quinquennium,
[so that they could enter the position upon the 15th birthday,]

et ex eo die quo deducti sunt in forum ut interessent consiliis publicis decrevit senatus.
[and from that day upon which they were led down to the Forum the Senate decreed that they could engage in the affairs of state.]

 Equites autem Romani universi principem iuventutis utrumque eorum parmis et hastis argenteis donatum appellaverunt.
[Even still, all the knights of Rome called them both by the title "emperor of the young generation", begifting them with silver shields and spears.]



[15] Plebei Romanae viritim HS trecenos numeravi ex testamento patris mei
[To each man, I bestowed 30 pieces of coin to the plebeian class of Rome, as befit the will of my father,]

et nomine meo HS quadringenos ex bellorum manibiis consul quintum dedi,
[and I, as consul for the 5th time, gave 40 pieces of coin under my own title, from war spoils,]

 iterum autem in consulatu decimo ex patrimonio meo HS quadringenos congiari viritim pernumeravi,
[and in any event, for in my tenth term as consul, I once again counted out for each man 40 pieces of coin from my own family estate,]

 et consul undecimum duodecim frumentationes frumento privatim coempto emensus sum,
[and when I was consul for 11th and 12th time, I dispensed from my private account corn supplies after buying the staples myself,]

 et tribunicia potestate duodecimum quadringenos nummos tertium viritim dedi.
[and in my 12th term with tribunician power, I give 40 nummi to every 3rd person.]

Quae mea congiaria pervenerunt ad hominum millia numquam minus quinquaginta et ducenta.
[My largess never reached more than 240 each to thousands of people.]

 Tribuniciae potestatis duodevicensimum, consul XII, trecentis et viginti millibus plebis urbanae sexagenos denarios viritim dedi.
[I donated 200 thousand denari while I held tribunician power, and by my 12th consulship, 320 thousand--that's 6 per capita--to the common folk of the city.]





Et colonis militum meorum consul quintum ex manibiis viritim millia nummum singula dedi;
[And to the colonies of my own soldiers did I give each man 5000 coin a piece from my own purse.]

 acceperunt id triumphale congiarium in colonis hominum circiter centum et viginti millia.
[They welcome this triumph procession in colonies that numbered around 120,000 people in total.]

 Consul tertium decimum sexagenos denarios plebei quae tum frumentum publicum accipiebat dedi;
[In my 13th consul, did I give 60 denarii to the common folk, which at that time used to also receive public doles of food.]

 ea millia hominum paullo plura quam ducenta fuerunt.
[This number of recipients amount more or less to 200,000.]

[16] Pecuniam pro agris quos in consulatu meo quarto et postea consulibus M. Crasso et Cn. Lentulo Augure adsignavi militibus solvi municipis;
[I signed over money for the purpose of fields during my fourth consulship, and after to be paid to the soldiers of the city during the consul years of Marcus Crassus and Gnaeus Lentulus.]

 ea summa sestertium circiter sexsiens milliens fuit
[This total amount of sesterces numbered around 60,000]

quam pro Italicis praedis numeravi,
[which I counted out to the benefit of Italian reward,]

 et circiter bis milliens et sescentiens quod pro agris provincialibus solvi.
[and I paid around 2,600 to go to the countryside of the provinces.]

 Id primus et solus omnium qui deduxerunt colonias militum in Italia
[I was the first and only to do this among men who established colonies of soldiers in Italy]

aut in provincis ad memoriam aetatis meae feci.
[or that I did so in the provinces, in the history of my own generation.]

 Et postea, Ti. Nerone et Cn. Pisone consulibus itemque C. Antistio et D. Laelio cos. et C. Calvisio et L. Pasieno consulibus et L. Lentulo et M. Messalla consulibus et L. Camnio et Q. Fabricio cos.,
[and afterward, during the consul years of Tiberius Nero and Gnaeus Piso, and then Gaius Antistius and Decimus Laelius, and then Gaius Calvisius and Lucius Pasienus, and then Lucius Lentulus and Marcus Messalla, and finally Lucius Camnius and Quintus Fabricius,]

 militibus quos emeriteis stipendis in sua municipia deduxi praemia numerato persolvi,
[did I pay a reward counted out to those soldiers whom I settled in their own cities in accompaniment with well-earned payments,]

 quam in rem sestertium quater milliens circiter impendi.
[for which matter I laid down nearly 4,000 sesterces.]


[17] Quater pecunia mea iuvi aerarium,
[I supplemented the Treasury with a fourth of my own money]

 ita ut sestertium milliens et quingentiens ad eos qui praerant aerario detulerim.
[such that I set aside 40,000 sesterces to the men who presided over the Treasury.]

 Et M. Lepido et L. Arruntio cos. in aerarium militare,
[And in the consul years of Marcus Lepidus and Lucius Arruntius, for the defense budget,]

 quod ex consilio meo constitutum est
[which was established by my own enactment]

ex quo praemia darentur militibus
[and through which stipends were granted to our soldiers]

qui vicena aut plura stipendia emeruissent,
[who had earned 20 or more military payments]

HS milliens et septingentiens ex patrimonio meo detuli.
[I set aside 70,000 sesterces from my own personal estate.]

[18] Ab eo anno quo Cn. et P. Lentulli consules fuerunt,
[From this year when Gnaeus and Publius Lentullius were consuls,]

cum deficerent vectigalia,
[when our total plots of land grew inadequate]

tum centum milibus hominum tum pluribus multo frumentarios et nummarios tributus ex horreo et patrimonio meo edidi.
[that was the very moment I produced, from my own stocks of food and personal estate, monetary contributions and food donations to supply up to 100,000 men or more.]
 




[19] Curiam et continens ei Chalcidicum templumque Apollinis in Palatio cum porticibus,
[The Curia, and the building containing it, and the Chalcidician temple of Apollo on the Palatine Hill, along with its porticoes]

 aedem divi Iuli,
[the temple of Deified Julius]

Lupercal,
[the Lupercal]

porticum ad circum Flaminium,
[the portico for the Flaminian racetrack]

 quam sum appellari passus ex nomine eius qui priorem eodem in solo fecerat, Octaviam,
[which I allow to be called so according to the name of the person do had built upon that same area, Octavius,]

 pulvinar ad circum maximum,
[the seats of honor at the Circus Maximus,]

 aedes in Capitolio Iovis Feretri Iovis Tonantis,
[the temples of Jupiter the Wounder, and Jove the Thunderer on the Capitol,]

 aedem Quirini,
[the shrine of Quirinus,]

aedes Minervae et Iunonis Reginae et Iovis Libertatis in Aventino,
[and the temple of Minerva, Juno the Queen, and Jove the Liberator on the Aventine Hill,]

 aedem Larum in summa sacra via,
[the temple of the Lares at the end of the Via Sacra,]

 aedem deum Penatium in Velia,
[the temple of the divine Penates in the Velia,]

 aedem Iuventatis,
[the temple of Youth]

 aedem Matris Magnae in Palatio feci.
[and the temple of the Great Mother on the Palatine: all of these buildings did I construct.]

[20] Capitolium et Pompeium theatrum utrumque opus impensa grandi refeci sine ulla inscriptione nominis mei.
[I rebuilt, and without any inscription of my name, the Capitolium and the theater of Pompey, both structures possessing a great weight,]

 Rivos aquarum compluribus locis vetustate labentes refeci,
[I rebuilt the channels of the aqueducts that were crumbling from old use in various places,]

 et aquam quae Marcia appellatur duplicavi fonte novo in rivum eius inmisso.
[and the aqueduct which is called the Marcian one, I had its course of waters doubled with new source for its channel.]

Forum Iulium et basilicam quae fuit inter aedem Castoris et aedem Saturni, coepta profligataque opera a patre meo, perfeci
[I finished building the Forum of Julius Caesar and the basilica that stood between the temple of Castor and temple of Saturn, as these are both projects that had previously been started and undertaken by my father,]

 et eandem basilicam consumptam incendio,
[as well as that very basilica, since it was burned down by a fire,]

ampliato eius solo, sub titulo nominis filiorum meorum incohavi,
[and I increased its area, and dedicated it under the titles of my sons' name,]

 et, si vivus non perfecissem,
[and, if I should not have finished it in my own lifetime,]

 perfici ab heredibus meis iussi.
[I ordered it to be finished by my heirs.]

 Duo et octoginta templa deum in urbe consul sextum ex auctoritate senatus refeci nullo praetermisso
[I restored 82 temples of the gods in our city, by my sixth term as consul, and according to the command of the Senate, ignoring not a one]

 quod eo tempore refici debebat.
[because they needed to be restored at that time.]

 Consul septimum viam Flaminiam ab urbe Ariminum refeci
[By my seventh consul, I restored the Via Flaminia that leads from the city of Ariminium,]

 pontesque omnes praeter Mulvium et Minucium.
[as well as all of the bridges, except for the Mulvian and Minucian bridges.]

[21] In privato solo Martis Ultoris templum forumque Augustum ex manibiis feci.
[Upon a private plot of land did I build the temple of Mars the Avenger, as well as the Forum of Augustus from my own funds]

Theatrum ad aedem Apollinis in solo magna ex parte a privatis empto feci,
[I built the theater to the temple of Apollo by myself, from a great part of my own private resources,]

quod sub nomine M. Marcelli generi mei esset.
[something which should be a dedicated under the title of my son in law Marcus Marcellus.]

 Dona ex manibiis in Capitolio et in aede divi Iuli et in aede Apollinis et in aede Vestae et in templo Martis Ultoris consacravi,
[I gave offerings from my private funds in the temple of Deified Julius Caesar, the Temple of Apollo, the shrine of Vesta, and the temple of Mars the Avenger]

quae mihi constiterunt HS circiter milliens.
[which cost me around a million sesterces.]

 Auri coronari pondo triginta et quinque millia municipiis et colonis Italiae conferentibus ad triumphos meos quintum consul remisi,
[By my fifth consulship, I sent back thirty thousand in the weight of gold to be incrowned, and five thousand to the cities and colonies of Italy who have contributed to my triumphs]

 et postea, quotienscumque imperator appellatus sum,
[and afterward, as many times as I was officially recognized as "emperor"]

aurum coronarium non accepi decernentibus municipiis
[I still did not accept the right to wear a gold diadem from the towns that were conferring it]

 et colonis aeque benigne adque antea decreverant.
[and before they had decreed it equally and with good faith to our colonists.]

[22] Ter munus gladiatorium dedi meo nomine
[I gave a gladiator games three times in my own name]

 et quinquiens filiorum meorum aut nepotum nomine,
[and five times, in honor of my sons and grandsons,]

 quibus muneribus depugnaverunt hominum circiter decem millia.
[in which games, nearly 10,000 men fought to the death.]

 Bis athletarum undique accitorum spectaculum populo praebui meo nomine
[I twice provided to the people games with celebrated athletes, in my own name]

et tertium nepotis mei nomine.
[and three times in the name of my grandson.]

 Ludos feci meo nomine quater,
[I organized national games in my name on four occasions]

 aliorum autem magistratuum vicem ter et viciens.
[and in event, 23 times likewise in the names of other officers.]

 Pro conlegio XV virorum magister conlegii collega M. Agrippa ludos saeclares C. Furnio C. Silano cos. feci.
[During the consulships of Gaius Furnius and Gaius Silanus, I put on Secular Games in honor of my colleague Marcus Agrippa, during my tenure as leader over the council of 25.]

 Consul XIII ludos Martiales primus feci
[In my 13th consulship, I was the first to put on public games in honor of Mars,]

quos post id tempus deinceps insequentibus annis s.c. et lege fecerunt consules.
[and these men, after the following years, did the same according to the precepts of the Senate.]

 Venationes bestiarum Africanarum meo nomine aut filiorum meorum et nepotum in circo aut in foro aut in amphitheatris populo dedi sexiens et viciens,
[I gave hunting games of wild African beasts in my own honor, as well as in the honor of my children and grandchildren, a total of 26 times in the Circus Maximus, the Forum, or else the Amphitheater,]

 quibus confecta sunt bestiarum circiter tria millia et quingentae.
[in which a total of 53,000 beasts were hunted down.]

[23] Navalis proeli spectaclum populo dedi trans Tiberim in quo loco nunc nemus est Caesarum,
[I gave a spectacle involving a naval battle to the people, across the Tiber, in the place where there is now now the grove belong to Caesar's family]

 cavato solo in longitudinem mille et octingentos pedes,
[and I dug out the soil at the length of 1,800 feet,]

 in latitudinem mille et ducenti,
[and a width of 1,200]

 in quo triginta rostratae naves triremes aut biremes,
[in which 30 iron-beaked trireme and bireme ships]

 plures autem minores inter se conflixerunt;
[and otherwise a great deal more smaller ones clashed between each other;]

quibus in classibus pugnaverunt praeter remiges millia hominum tria circiter.
[in which ships more than 3000 men roundabout fought.]

[24] In templis omnium civitatium provinciae Asiae victor ornamenta reposui
[As victor there, I reestablished the official decorations in the temples of all Asia's cities]

quae spoliatis templis is cum quo bellum gesseram privatim possederat.
[that is, those that he <Antony?> had beforehand taken possession for his own private use, after he robbed the temples, and after which time I had declared war,]

 Statuae meae pedestres et equestres et in quadrigeis argenteae steterunt in urbe XXC circiter,
[A total of 120 statues, both in infantry and equestrian form, as well in 4-horse chariots made of silver, were set up around the city]

quas ipse sustuli,
[statues which I myself provided]

exque ea pecunia dona aurea in aede Apollinis meo nomine et illorum qui mihi statuarum honorem habuerunt posui.
[and from this same source of money, I set golden gifts in the temple of Apollo in my own name and in those who have the right set up my statues.]

[25] Mare pacavi a praedonibus.
[I pacified the sea from pirates.]

 Eo bello servorum qui fugerant a dominis suis et arma contra rem publicam ceperant triginta fere millia capta dominis ad supplicium sumendum tradidi.
[I succeeded in bringing to a just end our war against the slaves who had beforehand fled from their masters and taken arms against our commonwealth, even after they kidnapped 30,000 of their owners]

Iuravit in mea verba tota Italia sponte sua,
[The entire Italian nation, by its own volition, swore allegiance to my constitution]

 et me belli quo vici ad Actium ducem depoposcit;
[and it demanded that become the leader in the war I won at Actium;]

 iuraverunt in eadem verba provinciae Galliae, Hispaniae, Africa, Sicilia, Sardinia.
[The provinces of Gaul, Spain, Africa, Sicily, and Sardinia swore upon the same allegiance.]

 Qui sub signis meis tum militaverint fuerunt senatores plures quam DCC,
[The number of senators who fought under my standards in the past numbered more then 700]

 in iis qui vel antea vel postea consules facti sunt ad eum diem
[among which men are those who either beforehand, or afterward, were elected consuls, even to this very day]

quo scripta sunt haec LXXXIII,
[at which time these 83 of these offices were recorded,]

 sacerdotes circiter CLXX.
[and there were roundabout 170 priests.]

[26] Omnium provinciarum populi Romani quibus finitimae fuerunt gentes quae non parerent imperio nostro fines auxi.
[I expanded the boundaries of all the provinces whose peoples bordering the Roman people, but did not obey them.]

Gallias et Hispanias provincias, item Germaniam, qua includit Oceanus a Gadibus ad ostium Albis fluminis pacavi.
[I pacified the provinces of Gaul and Spain, Germany too, everywhere enclosed by the Ocean, from Cadiz <Gades> to the mouth of the Elbe River.]

 Alpes a regione ea quae proxima est Hadriano mari ad Tuscum pacificavi nulli genti bello per iniuriam inlato.
[I pacified the Alpes which is the region that is next to the Hadrian Sea, through I carried on the war against no tribe of people for the sake of harming them.]

Classis mea per Oceanum ab ostio Rheni ad solis orientis regionem usque ad fines Cimbrorum navigavit,
[My fleet sailed along the Ocean from the mouth of the Rhine to the region where the sun rises in the east, all they way to the borders of the Cimbri,]

quo neque terra neque mari quisquam Romanus ante id tempus adit.
[where no Roman before came by land or sea before this period of time.]

Cimbrique et Charydes et Semnones et eiusdem tractus alii Germanorum populi per legatos amicitiam meam et populi Romani petierunt.
[The Cimbri, Charydes, Semnones,and other peoples along the same tract of land of the other German people sought my alliance through their embassies, and that of the Roman people.]

 Meo iussu et auspicio ducti sunt duo exercitus eodem fere tempore in Aethiopiam et in Arabiam quae appellatur Eudaemon,
[By my order and auspices, two of my armies were lead, almost at the same time, to Ethiopia, and that Arabian country nicknamed "Eudaemon" <Lucky Arabia/Arabia Felix>"]

 magnaeque hostium gentis utriusque copiae caesae sunt in acie et complura oppida capta.
[and a large hordes from both these nations were cut down in battle, and a great deal of their cities captured.]

 In Aethiopiam usque ad oppidum Nabata perventum est, cui proxima est Meroe;
[We journeyed into Ethiopia all the way up to the town of Nabata, which borders Meroe;]

in Arabiam usque in fines Sabaeorum processit exercitus ad oppidum Mariba.
[My army proceeded to Arabia all the way to the borders of the Sabaeans, up to city of Mariba.]

[27] Aegyptum imperio populi Romani adieci.
[I added Egypt to the empire of the Roman people.]

 Armeniam maiorem interfecto rege eius Artaxe cum possem facere provinciam malui maiorum nostrorum exemplo regnum id Tigrani regis Artavasdis filio, nepoti autem Tigranis regis, per Ti. Neronem tradere, qui tum mihi privignus erat.
[When their king Artaxerxes was assassinated, I was able to make Greater Armenia our province, since I preferred to bequeath it as a kingdom to Artavasdes' son, Tigranes, who nevertheless was the grandson of King Tigranes, with Tiberius Nero as my negotiator, a man who was one of my loyals at that time.]

Et eandem gentem postea desciscentem et rebellantem domitam per Gaium filium meum regi Ariobarzani regis Medorum Artabazi filio regendam tradidi,
[And afterward, I gave that same nation to the son of Ariobarzanes, king of Media, that is, to be ruled by Artabazes, because the area began to dissent and rebel, after it was put under our dominion by my son Gaius,]

 et post eius mortem filio eius Artavasdi;
[and then after his death, to the son of Artavados;]

 quo interfecto Tigranem qui erat ex regio genere Armeniorum oriundus in id regnum misi.
[wherefore, when he was killed, I sent Tigranes to this kingdom, who was raised from the royal class of Armenians.]

Provincias omnis quae trans Hadrianum mare vergunt ad orientem Cyrenasque,
 iam ex parte magna regibus ea possidentibus, et antea Siciliam et Sardiniam occupatas bello servili reciperavi.
[I welcomed all the provinces that lie across the Adriatic Sea, to the East, and down the countries of Cyrene, and already this is a large tract of land that contains kings, and before that, Sicily and Sardinia, which had been occupied during the Slave War.]]


[28] Colonias in Africa, Sicilia, Macedonia, utraque Hispania, Achaia, Asia, Syria, Gallia Narbonensi, Pisidia militum deduxi.
[I established colonies of soldiers in Africa, Sicily, Macedonia, both tracts of Spain, Achaea <Greece>, Asia, Syria, Gallia Narbonense, and Pisidia.]

Italia autem XXVIII colonias quae vivo me celeberrimae et frequentissimae fuerunt mea auctoritate deductas habet.
[Nevertheless, Italy contains 28 individual colonies that were established in my lifetime, and under my authority, as the most populated and visited ones in the world.]

[29] Signa militaria complura per alios duces amissa devictis hostibus recepi ex Hispania et Gallia et a Dalmateis.
[I received that military standards, sent in large numbers by agency of my other commanders, from Spain, Gaul, and provinces of Dalmatia.]

Parthos trium exercitum Romanorum spolia et signa reddere mihi supplicesque amicitiam populi Romani petere coegi.
[I forced the Parthians to return the plunder they had taken from three of Rome's armies, including our standards, to me, and as supplicants, to seek the alliance of the Roman people.]

 Ea autem signa in penetrali quod est in templo Martis Ultoris reposui.
[In any event, I resettled these standards in the inner sanctuary that is now located in the temple of Mars the Avenger.]

[30] Pannoniorum gentes, quas ante me principem populi Romani exercitus nunquam adit, devictas per Ti. Neronem, qui tum erat privignus et legatus meus, imperio populi Romani subieci,
[I put the nations of Pannonia under the dominion of Roman people, that is, those which the army of Roman army had never approached before I was commander, and they were defeated by Tiberius Nero, who at that time was my lieutenant and representative,]

 protulique fines Illyrici ad ripam fluminis Danui.
[and I extended the borders of Illyria up the Danube river.]

Citra quod Dacorum transgressus exercitus meis auspicis victus profilgatusque est,
[Despite my counsel, the army on our side of Dacian territory was beseiged, defeated, and sent packing,]

et postea trans Danuvium ductus exercitus meus Dacorum gentes imperia populi Romani perferre coegit.
[and afterward, my army, once it was led across the Danube, forced the nations of Dacia to fully accept the dominance of the Roman people.]

[31] Ad me ex India regum legationes saepe missae sunt non visae ante id tempus apud quemquam Romanorum ducem.
[Royal embassies were frequently sent to me from India, they who had never appeared to the any leader of the Roman people before this current period of time.]

 Nostram amicitiam appetiverunt per legatos Bastarnae
[The Bastarnae sought our alliance through diplomatic missions]

 Scythaeque et Sarmatarum qui sunt citra flumen Tanaim et ultra reges, Albanorumque rex et Hiberorum et Medorum.
[as well as the Scythians, and Sarmatians, who live on the nearer side of the Tanais River, and even kings from farther lands, as well as the kings of Albania, Hiberia, and Media.]


[32] Ad me supplices confugerunt reges Parthorum Tiridates et postea Phrates regis Phratis filius, Medorum Artavasdes, Adiabenorum Artaxares, Britannorum Dumnobellaunus et Tincommius, Sugambrorum Maelo, Marcomanorum Sueborum . . . rus.
[The kings of Parthia fled to me as supplicants, first
Tiridates, and then Phrates, the brother of King Phratis, and King Artavasdes of Media, Artaxares of Adiabenes, Dumnobellaunus and Tincommius of Britain, Maelo of the Sugambres, Marcomanes, and Suebian countryside.]

 Ad me rex Parthorum Phrates Orodis filius filios suos nepotesque omnes misit in Italiam non bello superatus,
[The king of Parthia, Phrates, son of Oros, sent his sons to me, as well as all of his grandchildren to Italy, although he was not defeated in battle,]

 sed amicitiam nostram per liberorum suorum pignora petens.
[but instead because he was seeking our alliance through the pledging of his own freeborn children.]

Plurimaeque aliae gentes expertae sunt p. R. fidem me principe quibus antea cum populo Romano nullum extiterat legationum et amicitiae commercium.

[33] A me gentes Parthorum et Medorum per legatos principes earum gentium reges petitos acceperunt:
[The nations of Parthia and Media accepted the kings and leaders of their nations I sought after, by agency of my diplomatic missions.]

Parthi Vononem, regis Phratis filium, regis Orodis nepotem, Medi Ariobarzanem, regis Artavazdis filium, regis Ariobarzanis nepotem.
[that is, Vonones, the son of the Parthian king Phrates and grandson of King Oros, and Ariobarzanes, the son of the Median king Artavazdes and grandson of King Ariobarzanes.]

[34] In consulatu sexto et septimo, postquam bella civilia exstinxeram,
[In my sixth and seventh consulship, after I had put an end our civil wars,]

per consensum universorum potitus rerum omnium, rem publicam ex mea potestate in senatus populique Romani arbitrium transtuli.
[and I, able to unify all the aspects of our governmental affairs, transferred the republic from my own hegemony to the Senate and the vote of the Roman people.]

 Quo pro merito meo senatus consulto Augustus appellatus sum
[And by my own merits, I was given the honorific title of Augustus, "The Reverent", by decree of the Senate]

 et laureis postes aedium mearum vestiti publice coronaque civica super ianuam meam fixa est
[and the doorposts of my palace were dressed with laurel for the public to see, and the Civic Crown placed above my door,]

 et clupeus aureus in curia Iulia positus,
[and a golden shield placed upon the Julian Senate House,]

 quem mihi senatum populumque Romanum dare virtutis clementiaeque et iustitiae et pietatis caussa testatum est per eius clupei inscriptionem.
[, that is, the shield, with the inscription upon it, given to me by the Senate and Roman people on account of my courage, clemency, justice and piety.]

 Post id tempus auctoritate omnibus praestiti, potestatis autem nihilo amplius habui quam ceteri qui mihi quoque in magistratu conlegae fuerunt.
[After this period of time, men, who excelled in their authority over all, nevertheless were my colleagues in my administrations, and enjoyed no higher degree of power than I possessed.]

[35] Tertium decimum consulatum cum gerebam,
[When I began to carry on my thirteenth consulship,]

 senatus et equester ordo populusque Romanus universus appellavit me patrem patriae,
[the Senate, equestrian class, and the Roman people in unison gave me the title of "Father of the Nation"]

idque in vestibulo aedium mearum inscribendum et in curia Iulia et in foro Aug. sub quadrigis quae mihi ex s.c. positae sunt censuit.
[and this was designated to be inscribed upon the porch of my own palace, and in the Julian basilica, as well as in the Forum of Augustus, beneath the four-horse chariot that was set up by senatorial decree.]

 Cum scripsi haec annum agebam septuagensumum sextum.
[I wrote these things as soon as I reached the age of 76."]


[1] Summa pecuniae quam dedit vel in aerarium vel Plebei Romanae vel dimissis militibus:
[The greatest amount of money was given either to the Treasury, or the common folk of Rome, or to retired soldiers:]

 denarium sexiens milliens.
[60,000 denarii.]

[2] Opera fecit nova aedem Martis, Iovis Tonantis et Feretri, Apollinis, divi Iuli, Quirini, Minervae, Iunonis Reginae, Iovis Libertatis, Larum, deum Penatium, Iuventatis, Matris Magnae, Lupercal, pulvinar ad circum, curiam cum Chalcidico, forum Augustum, basilicam Iuliam, theatrum Marcelli, porticum Octaviam, nemus trans Tiberim Caesarum.
[He constructed new buildings, including the Temple of Mars, of Jove the Thunderer and the Destroyer, of Deified Julius, of Quirinus, of Minerva, of Juno the Queen, of Jove, of the Lares, of the god of the Penates, of Youth, of the Great Mother, as well as the Lupercal, the seats of honor at the Circus, the Senate House with the Chalcidice section, the Forum of Augustus, the Basilica Julia, the theater of Marcellus, the portico of Octavius, and the gardens of the Caesars across the Tiber.]

[3] Refecit Capitolium sacrasque aedes numero octoginta duas, theatrum Pompei, aquarum rivos, viam Flaminiam.
[He restored the Capitolium, and the sacred temples to the number of 160, as well as the theater of Pompey, the channels of the aqueducts, and the Via Flaminia.]

[4] Impensa praestita in spectacula scaenica et munera gladiatorum atque athletas et venationes et naumachiam et donata pecunia colonis, municipiis, oppidis terrae motu incendioque consumptis aut viritim amicis senatoribusque quorum census explevit innumerabilis.
[He paid for great expenses, unheard of before, for shows on stage, and ceremonial contests of gladiators, and athletes, and hunts, including a naval battle, as well as money given to farmers, towns, and cities destroyed by earthquakes and fire, or individually to his friends and senators, whose number is impossible to count.]
 

FIN