Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

St. Ghislain, A Song for Loiusa

Gislenus Bultelius
1555-1611 AD
Trans RMBullard
Latin (Renaissance Era)




AD LOYSAM.

(1) Ecce Cupidines, infelix ardeo flamis
[Look you Cupids, how unhappily I burn in flames]


 Venit et ex oculis fax mihi prima tuis.
[and the very first torch comes to me, away from your eyesight.]

Et iam succensi periissem uiribus ignis,
[and already did I perished from the forces of burning fire,]

Visa sed ista fuit poena remissa tibi.
[But these are the kinds of punishments that have been once again caused by you.]

(5) Das lacrumis caussas;
[Speak now the causes of my tears;]

 si uis me, dura, perire,
[You cruel girl, if you want to die,]

Una fuit morti caussa paranda meae;
[there must be only way that I can prepare to die;]

Qui uenit ex oculis, lacrumis stillantibus,
[That which comes out of my eyes, while my tears drop down,]

 humor
Non sinit accenso pectus ab igne mori,
[this very liquid does not left my heart perish from the fire that has started burning,]

Sic tamen,
[And so, nevertheless]

ut flamis moderatior ille uicissim
(10) Non mergat miserum largus in imbre suo.
[the result is that, in response, that aforesaid liquid, which is more temperate than my flames, will not far and wide drown a miserable fellow in its own shower.]

Viuo igitur spiroque,
[And so I live and I breathe]

 sed ut sit caussa propinquae
Vita necis,
[but only such that there night be a cause of approaching death in my life,]

uitae mors quoque caussa meae.
[death too will be the purpose of my life.]

Si uis in cineres me, saeua, uidere redactum,
[if you wish, you savage girl, to see me reduced to cinders]

(Quam tibi, plus certe haec uita molesta mihi est )
[and how indeed has this life of mine been a cause of trouble to you]

(15) Desine suppetias morienti ferre, semelque,
[Stop bring your requests to a dying men, not even once,]

Ne moriar toties me sine ( quaeso ) mori.
[lest I die a thousand deaths, let me simply just die, I beg you.]

Quos tamen accusem ?
[And still whom shall I accuse?]

Men' ?
[myself?]

 qui non pectora ferro
Dilacerem, morti constituamque modum ?
[I, who could not tear apart my heart with the sword, can I decide the cause of my death?]

An magis insimulem, qui me succendit, Amorem,
[Or rather can I pretend that it is Love, that burnt me up]


(20) Qui dedit in uacuo pectore regna tibi ?
[who gave control over a idle heart to you?]

Nam te Diuini tutatur gratia uultus,
[You see, the presence of a Divine face looks upon you,]

Absoluuntque ipsis aemula labra rosis.
[And rival lips loosen it from its own roses.]

Hoc tamen admiror,
[and yet, I wonder upon this,]

 miserum me uiuere posse,
[how I can live so miserably,]

Cuius in exitium est caussa reperta duplex.
[I whose reason for destruction has been discovered to be two-fold.]