Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Catullus, Poem 28


Gaius Valerius Catullus
84-54 BCE (over 2,000 years ago)
Trans RMBullard
Latin (Golden Age/Republican Era)

PISONIS comites,
[Associates of Piso,]

cohors inanis,
[you mindless lackies,]

aptis sarcinulis et expeditis,
[with your knapsacks prepared and dispatched]

Verani optime tuque mi Fabulle,
[Veranius, my most dear man, and Fabullus, my friend,]

quid rerum geritis?
[what kinds of things do you do now?]

satisne cum isto
uappa frigoraque et famem tulistis?
[Isn't enough for you to have endured stale wine, and the cold, and bouts of hunger?]

ecquidnam in tabulis patet lucelli
expensum,
[and what will be the cost for the little profit that you've racked up in your accounts ,]

 ut mihi, qui meum secutus
praetorem refero datum lucello?
[as in my case, I, who after following the praetor, will record only the slightest of profits?]

o Memmi, bene me ac diu supinum
tota ista trabe lentus irrumasti.
[O Memmius, long and well did you bugger me on my back deep with that long shaft of yours.]

sed, quantum uideo, pari fuistis
casu:
[but still, as far as I can see, you two have befallen the same fate:]

 nam nihilo minore uerpa
farti estis.
[you see, you’ve been crammed by no smaller a dick.]

pete nobiles amicos!
[“Try to find well-born associates!”]

at uobis mala multa di deaeque
dent,
[But may the gods and goddesses shall grant you unfortunate affairs,]

 opprobria Romuli Remique.
[scandals that befit Romulus and Remus.]