Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Catullus, Poem 30

Gaius Valerius Catullus
84-54 BCE (over 2,000 years ago)
Trans RMBullard
Latin (Golden Age/Republican Era)


ALFENE immemor atque unanimis false sodalibus,


[Alfenus, you ingrate and faker to all your friends,]




iam te nil miseret, dure, tui dulcis amiculi?


[already, you heartless man, you could not pity your dear little friend just a bit?]




iam me prodere, iam non dubitas fallere, perfide?


[already you don't doubt that you can pull the wool over my eyes, and deceive me, you traitor?]


nec facta impia fallacum hominum caelicolis placent.


[The wicked deeds of lying men do not please the gods who dwell in heaven.]




quae tu neglegis ac me miserum deseris in malis.




[these are things you fail to consider, and you've let me miserable, in a state of woes.]




eheu quid faciant, dic, homines cuiue habeant fidem?


[O indeed, tell me, what can men do, or better, in whom can they hold their trust?]


certe tute iubebas animam tradere, inique, me




[You used to tell me open my heart, with certainty and assurance, you base man,]




inducens in amorem, quasi tuta omnia mi forent.
[so that I could lead myself to your love, as though everything were secure for my sake.]


idem nunc retrahis te ac tua dicta omnia factaque


[and now, just like that, you draw yourself back, and your promises, and your actions]




uentos irrita ferre ac nebulas aereas sinis.


[and you allow the wind and airy mists to carry them off, as though they were useless.]


si tu oblitus es,
 [Perhaps for your part, you've forgotten,]


at di meminerunt,
 [but the gods remember,]


meminit Fides,




[and Loyalty remembers,]




quae te ut paeniteat postmodo facti faciet tui.
[and she will make you pay for your past action.]